In May, 2016 Microsoft introduced a lot of new features and functionalities, providing for the most integrated video solution within Office 365. Customers whose tenants are in the Government Community Cloud (GCC) and China data-centers now have Office 365 Video available to them for their dynamic, secure and private internal communications. With Office 365 Video we get a single tool for uploading, sharing and playing back videos anywhere on a company intranet, whether we use SharePoint Online or SharePoint Server on-premises. It brings us numerous features and capabilities, for instance improvements on upload experience, enhanced accessibility, developed analytics to provide aggregate trending patterns. Here is a closer look at some of the new features:
- Video viewer statistics – provide insights into how our videos are being viewed and highlight viewing spikes. We get to know how many people have watched given video and how much time they spent doing it. We can easily view interactive viewer trends and graphs from the drop-down menu underneath each video.
- Improved upload capabilities – now we can easily upload videos, adjust and add title and description. When we choose to upload multiple videos at a time we can see progress along the way, both on individual progress bars per video as well as on overall progress bar. All it takes is clicking the universal upload button in the navigation bar
- Subtitle files – Office 365 Video supports the common webvtt format for subtitles which allows to add subtitles in various languages to each video. All we need to do is choose a language and upload captions file, while O365 Video player will do the rest when a viewer turns captioning on.
- Choose your own thumbnail – we can select either one of the four auto-generated thumbnails, upload our own custom image or use a default thumbnail. The thumbnail of our choice will represent the video throughout O365, including Office Delve activity feed, SharePoint site and internal blog post.
- Inserting a video into a SharePoint page or team site – an Office 365 Video button on the insert ribbon menu displays a dialog box in which we can search for a video and choose it from our O365 Video portal. Now embedding videos is simpler than ever.
- Offline viewing – with Office 365 Video we can stay informed even if we are not connected to the Internet; it allows us to download a file and transfer it to any other device in order to view the video offline at any time.
- Restoring a video from the Recycle Bin – videos deleted by users are kept in the Recycle Bin for 90 days and now it is possible to easily restore them, simply select the video and click Recover Selection.